School Purpose & Mission
In union with the family and the Church, the Catholic schools of the Diocese of Salina strive to prepare young people to impact the world for Christ and to attain their eternal destiny by providing a Catholic learning environment, based on the values of Jesus Christ that promotes academic excellence, develops spiritual, physical and emotional well being, fosters mutual respect, demands moral responsibility, encourages self-growth, and nurtures Christian service to others.
At Holy Family Elementary School, We are Christ to one another!
We grow in our…“To Teach as Jesus Did” (102)
Catholic Faith to
Honor God, Matthew 22:37
Respect others, Mark 12:31
Imitate Christ, 1 Corinthians 11:1
Study, and develop our For the Children, Pope John Paul II, p.21
Talents to glorify God. 1 Peter 4:10
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE SCHOOL
Holy Family Elementary School has a preschool through sixth grade program. Learning programs within each classroom meet individual needs of the students.
The following are general characteristics of the learning program of the school:
- Holy Family Elementary School is a Catholic school which provides religions education for all students.
- Holy Family Elementary School uses self-contained classrooms. Self-contained classrooms permit the student to progress within their classroom and allows teachers to integrate core subjects such as math, reading, and writing across the curriculum.
- The atmosphere of the school is characterized as being warm and caring for the individual and supportive to the development of Christian values.
- A Catholic Christian value is studied monthly and incorporated into all classes.
- An innovative curriculum is geared to help each student reach their own potential.
- Counseling services are provided for the students by USD 489.
- Speech testing, therapy, and audiology testing are proved by Fort Hays State University students and supervised by an FHSU professor.
- Visual screening is provided for students by a team of optometrists.
- Dental screening is provided by the First Care Clinic of Hays.
- A remedial reading program is provided by Title I for students who qualify for this under district, state and federal regulations.
- Testing for remedial and gifted services are offered through USD 489 to students who have special learning needs.
- The school provides its own testing program through Iowa Test of Basic Skills. State assessment tests are given to appropriate grade levels.
- Holy Family Elementary School has a lunch program and a breakfast program for students in grades K-6.
- Kinderprep is offered for a small group of students who are not quite ready for full-time Kindergarten and is in session on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Placement is all determined in-house between the Preschool Director and Principal.
- Holy Family Elementary School provides an After School Care program for students in PB-6th grade and is open from dismissal until 6:00 p.m. in the Cafeteria.